Top Cayman Restaurant Cooper Falls

Story Behind the Best Steakhouse in Cayman

Copper Falls

Celebrating the anniversary of their ninth year, Copper Falls has established itself as one of Cayman’s best restaurants.  As this month’s Passenger Pick of the Month, we wanted to learn more about the story behind Copper Falls, so recently we caught up with Frank Fleiger: 

.
PP: Interesting name for a steakhouse, so how did you choose “Copper Falls”?
FF: We were considering many different names, while browsing the Internet and came upon a site which sold beautiful copper waterfall pieces.  That’s when we realized that would be the design for our steakhouse and we created the restaurant around that theme.



PP: We noticed 3 different copper water falls in the restaurant.  Neat atmosphere.  Tell us what brought you to Cayman.
FF: I first came here on vacation in ’96.  With 24 years of restaurant management experience, I was offered a job and came back a few weeks later ready to work.  I then fell in love with my future wife Dianne, married in 2002.  I managed a trio of restaurants and eventually opened Copper Falls Steakhouse, April 2005.

PP: What led to you start Copper Falls?
FF: I’m a steak lover.  I grew up in Canada on Alberta AAA beef.  As a kid, in mid winter mom would ask me to go out and cook steaks for the family.  I’d go outside, clear the snow off the 
grill, light it and then right back inside to warm up.  Later I’d go outside, throw the steaks on the grill, then right back inside to warm up.  3 minutes afterwards I’m back outside to flip the steaks.

PP:Then right back inside to warm up?
FF:  You got it!  So I grew up on steak.  And I’ve always wanted to start a steakhouse.  And the weather in Cayman is a bit warmer!



PP: Many passengers say you serve the best steak on the island.  What is your secret to the perfect steak? 
FF: The perfect steak secret: Quality meat cooked to the perfect temperature.
PP: Maggie Quinn, who works for Certified Angus Beef, is frequently on my flight and told me, “Copper Falls buys the very best beef.”
FF: We certainly appreciate Maggie.  Our Angus beef is aged 28-35 days, which breaks down the enzymes, making the steak feel like it melts in your mouth.  All our steaks are hand cut every day, except the Porter House.  We just add a little salt and pepper and then it’s on the grill.  We don’t mask the flavor by adding bacon, sauces, etc. 



PP: Passengers feel you are one of the best values on the island because you include extras: a cocktail and two sides with every meal...Why so generous?
FF: One thing that bugged me about north American steakhouses is that everything is a la cart.  We wanted to be different. 
PP: So that’s where you got the idea. 
FF: Yes, our concept is that you get added value by having two sides and a drink included in the price of entrees.  There are not many restaurants in the world that include a drink with each and every entrĂ©e.

 www.passengerpicks.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022 Top Five Budget-Friendly Restaurants

Celebrate Women's Dive Day

Crystal Caves A 2018 Must Do!